I am very honoured and delighted that my work ‘Ladies Companions’ has been selected for ‘The 6th Riga International Textile and Fibre Art Triennial: Identity’
The Exhibition is from 6th June to 9th September, 2018. At Arsenāls Exhibition Hall, Riga. Latvia. The Exhibition and programme of events has been organized by the Latvian National Museum of Art/ Museum of Decorative Arts and Design, Riga.
218 applications were submitted for selection and judged by the jury, consisting of the following experts:
- Signe Kivi, textile artist, Director of the Tartu Art Mueum (Estonia),
- Laima Oržekauskiene, textile artist, Professor, Kaunas Art Institute (Lithuania),
- Pasi Välimaa, textile artist and designer, Professor, University of Gothenburg, HDK Steneby (Finland/ Sweden),
- Velta Raudzepa, MA, Head of collections, the Latvian National Museum of Art/ Museum of Decorative Arts and Design,
- Egils Rozenbergs, textile artist (Latvia).
The jury passed out a decision that 85 artworks from 28 countries will enter the Triennial. An International Conference exploring related themes in The Exhibition is to be held on 7th and 8th June. As part of this conference I will be presenting my lecture titled ‘Hair; Locks, curls, thimbles and dresses’ on Friday 8th June.
This year, 2018, Latvia is celebrating the centenary anniversary of the Republic of Latvia and the Triennial will be part of the festivity cultural programme….. There is a fantastic line up of Artwork in the Triennial as well as the extended Exhibitions programme in and around Riga.
For further information please visit http://www.lnmm.lv/en/visit/exhibitions/4304-the-6th-riga-international-textile-and-fiber-art-triennial-tradition-and-innovation
Ladies Companions. 2016
Hand woven hair work mementoes
Materials used; Human hair, Silk and cotton thread, vintage sewing tools.
Photographers credit Alison Bettles ©